Spring is the time many homeowners begin to consider all of the renovations that they hope to accomplish during the warm summer months. If you are thinking about a new roof consider metal roofing. In this installment on roofing for your home we will look into the advantages and disadvantages of metal roofing.
There are so many ways that metal roofing outweighs other conventional roofing materials from the expected life expectancy to fire resistance.
- Life Expectancy: When metal roofing is installed correctly by a professional roofing contractor should last as long as the house does. Metal roofing installed properly seals out the water and endures high winds that other conventional roofing fails to do. Metal roofing is also resistant to mildew, mold, fire, rot and insect infestation. Most metal roofing suppliers will warranty their product for anywhere between twenty to fifty years. The paint finish on a metal roof is most often under warranty for upwards of thirty years.
- Weight: The weight of a metal roof ranges between fifty to one hundred and fifty pounds per square foot. It is possible that your metal roof can be installed right over your old shingle roof without the roofing material being taken off or additional support being added.
- Installation: Metal roofing comes in multiple shingle sections or as large wide panels which make for easy installation by professional roofing contractors. The process of installing a metal roof usually takes about two days less than it takes to install other conventional roofing materials.
- Fire Resistance: Metal roofing has a class A fire resistance rating because metal is a non-combustible material.
- Conduction: Metal reflects heat from the sun minimizing the amount of heat that enters or exits the house. Metal roofing is perfect for cooling the house in the summer while keeping heat in during the winter.
- Roof Pitch: Even roofs with the slightest roof pitch can be installed with metal roofing and still not present a potential for leaking. The minimum pitch should be three inches of rise per twelve horizontal inches.
- Maximum Shedding: Metal roofing is designed to interlock which makes it resistant to rain and snow accumulation. The hard, slippery surface allows the snow and rain to gently flow off the surface.
The drawbacks of metal roofing hardly outweigh the benefits but should be considered before investing in a new roof. It is important to look into drawbacks such as cost, noise, denting and care.
Home Pro Roofing contractors offer a variety of roofing services throughout Brighton, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Fenton and Commerce Township, including installation of shingle roofs, metal roofing and roof repairs. You will find them at http://www.homeproroofingmi.com today.